What file system does Synology Product support (for DSM 3.0 and onward)?
Synology Product has to work with at least one internal hard drive installed, excluding USB Station and USB Station 2. The file system types supported by Synology products are as follows:
For internal hard drives:
EXT4 is the native file system for DSM 3.0 and onward.
For external hard drives (USB and eSATA):
To format the connected external hard drives, users can choose:
- EXT4 format: the native file system for DSM 3.0.
- EXT3 format: offers better data protection and higher performance.
- FAT32 format: can be used on both Windows and Mac.
- Max single file size is 4GB in FAT32 format, and 2TB in EXT3 format on Synology Product.
- The system supports read and write functions on NTFS formatted external HDD. (Read-only on DS109j, DS108j, DS107 and DS107e)
- From DSM 3.0 and onward, EXT4 is not supported on 7-series models.